A Samsung galaxy J5 phone exploded, catching fire in France.


A Samsung Galaxy J5 smartphone belonging to a woman in France on Sunday, said her phone began smoking, caught fire, and then exploded.

“I panicked when I saw the smoke and I had the reflex to throw it away,” said Bouyirdane, a mother of three in the southwestern French city of Pau.

Ms. Lamya Bouyirdane says she asked her four year old son to pass over the phone to her, when she suddenly noticed that it had swollen, then it unexpectedly caught on fire and simply blew off. Her husband managed to extinguish it.

Bouyirdane said she bought the phone new last June on a website offering discounts. She said she will sue Samsung.

The South Korean company recently recalled millions of its Galaxy Note 7 smartphones globally, because of a problem that caused the batteries to overheat and catch fire.

William stofega, a mobile phone expert at market research firm IDC, said that this is the first report of a battery fire he’d heard of related to the J5, which has been on the market for several months and most likely an isolated incident.

“These reports tend to cluster,” he said.

Lithium-ion batteries, which ae used in most laptops and smartphones, are sometimes prone to overheating and catching fire.

Samsung did not immediately respond to an email from the AP seeking comments following the latest incident.



Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.